Misleading
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Register
Misleading
  • About Us
  • Log in
  • Don’t Mislead (Archive)
  • Privacy Policy
No Result
View All Result
Misleading
No Result
View All Result

Demolition Prep Collapses Mississippi Bridge, Kills Three

October 17, 2024
in Missleading
Reading Time: 4 mins read
0 0
A A
0
Demolition Prep Collapses Mississippi Bridge, Kills Three
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Three people were killed and four were seriously injured Wednesday when a bridge in Mississippi collapsed while a work crew was preparing it for demolition, authorities reported.

The bridge over the Strong River on State Route 149 in Simpson County, located about 40 miles south of Jackson, had been closed to traffic since Sept. 18 due to a replacement project, according to the Mississippi Department of Transportation.

Gov. Tate Reeves confirmed the tragedy on social media, stating that first responders from the county and other state resources were on the scene, where they had confirmed three fatalities and multiple injuries.

U.S. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg also addressed the incident on social media, noting that the Federal Highway Administration was “engaging state officials concerning” the “premature collapse during demolition of a bridge on State Route 149 in Mississippi.”

Newsweek has reached out the Mississippi Department of Transportation for comment via email.

Police at scene of bridge collapse Miss.
Law enforcement at the scene after a bridge over the Strong River on State Route 149 in Simpson County, Miss., collapsed on Wednesday, Oct. 16, 2024. Three people were killed and four were seriously injured,…
Law enforcement at the scene after a bridge over the Strong River on State Route 149 in Simpson County, Miss., collapsed on Wednesday, Oct. 16, 2024. Three people were killed and four were seriously injured, authorities confirmed.

WAPT

Simpson County Sheriff Paul Mullins reported that three people were killed and four critically injured. Terry Tutor, the Simpson County coroner, told the New York Times that seven men were working on the bridge with heavy machinery when it collapsed, plummeting nearly 40 feet. Tutor confirmed that three of the men died, while four sustained injuries.

Mullins and Tutor did not immediately respond to requests for further information from The Associated Press. Attempts to reach T.L. Wallace Construction, the construction company involved, were unsuccessful, as calls went unanswered. The construction firm has also been asked to comment by Newsweek through email.

Department of Transportation spokesperson Anna Ehrgott indicated that his office would provide more details to the public as they became available. According to the department, one of its inspectors was present at the work site during the bridge collapse and was unharmed.

Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg
Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg speaks before President Joe Biden during a visit to the U.A. Local 190 Training Center in Ann Arbor, Mich., Sept. 6, 2024. On Wednesday, Buttigieg said in a social media post…
Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg speaks before President Joe Biden during a visit to the U.A. Local 190 Training Center in Ann Arbor, Mich., Sept. 6, 2024. On Wednesday, Buttigieg said in a social media post that the Federal Highway Administration was “engaging state officials concerning” the “premature collapse during demolition of a bridge on State Route 149 in Mississippi. ”

Paul Sancya/AP Photo

This incident raises concerns regarding safety protocols and inspections during bridge demolition projects. As investigations continue, local authorities and federal officials are due to examine the circumstances that led to the bridge’s failure, including the safety measures in place at the time of the collapse.

As the community mourns the loss of life and the injuries sustained during this tragic event, questions remain about how such a devastating incident could occur during a planned demolition.

Bridge collapse in Mississippi
The bridge over the Strong River on State Route 149 in Simpson County, about 40 miles (64 kilometers) south of Jackson, had been closed to traffic since Sept. 18. It was part of a bridge…
The bridge over the Strong River on State Route 149 in Simpson County, about 40 miles (64 kilometers) south of Jackson, had been closed to traffic since Sept. 18. It was part of a bridge replacement project, the Mississippi Department of Transportation said in a news release.

WAPT

As details emerge, the focus for the authorities will be on ensuring the safety of construction crews, preventing similar incidents in the future and providing support to the families of the dead and injured.

This article includes reporting from The Associated Press

Previous Post

2 in 5 U.S. credit card holders have topped out their spending limit

Next Post

Kamala Harris and Donald Trump Both Entered the Lion’s Den. Who Triumphed?

Related Posts

Trump Nominates Matt Gaetz For Attorney General
Missleading

Letitia James Accused of Bar Complaint

November 29, 2025
Palisades Fire Photos Torch California’s Denial,New evidence clashes with the state’s attempt to wash its hands of the chaos
Don’t Mislead

Palisades Fire Photos Torch California’s Denial,New evidence clashes with the state’s attempt to wash its hands of the chaos

November 29, 2025
Trump Nominates Matt Gaetz For Attorney General
Missleading

Zelensky’s Chief of Staff is Raided

November 28, 2025
Trump Nominates Matt Gaetz For Attorney General
Missleading

Trump “permanently” suspends migration from Third World Countries

November 28, 2025
Trump Nominates Matt Gaetz For Attorney General
Missleading

“Law and Justice have Prevailed”: Trump’s Reaction To Georgia Election Case Ruling

November 27, 2025
Trump Nominates Matt Gaetz For Attorney General
Missleading

Trump: “Animal” who shot two National Guardsmen will pay a very steep price

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Kamala Harris and Donald Trump Both Entered the Lion’s Den. Who Triumphed?

Kamala Harris and Donald Trump Both Entered the Lion's Den. Who Triumphed?

Taliban Investigate Deaths Linked to Alleged Iran Border Clash

Taliban Investigate Deaths Linked to Alleged Iran Border Clash

Please login to join discussion
Misleading

Misleading is your trusted source for uncovering fake news, analyzing misinformation, and educating readers about deceptive media tactics. Join the fight for truth today!

TRENDING

Trump blasts The New York Times for “Knowing This Is Wrong”.

Trump Voices Concerns Over Potential Nexstar Merger: “NO EXPANSION of the FAKE NEWSNETWORKS”.

Trump “permanently” suspends migration from Third World Countries

LATEST

Letitia James Accused of Bar Complaint

Palisades Fire Photos Torch California’s Denial,New evidence clashes with the state’s attempt to wash its hands of the chaos

Zelensky’s Chief of Staff is Raided

  • About Us
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • DMCA
  • Cookie Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions

Copyright © 2025 Misleading.
Misleading is not responsible for the content of external sites.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password? Sign Up

Create New Account!

Fill the forms bellow to register

All fields are required. Log In

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • About Us
  • Log in
  • Don’t Mislead (Archive)
  • Privacy Policy

Copyright © 2025 Misleading.
Misleading is not responsible for the content of external sites.