Misleading
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Register
Misleading
  • About Us
  • Log in
  • Don’t Mislead (Archive)
  • Privacy Policy
No Result
View All Result
Misleading
No Result
View All Result

Ecuador imposes overnight blackouts as drought saps hydroelectric power

September 23, 2024
in Missleading
Reading Time: 4 mins read
0 0
A A
0
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Ecuador’s government was to begin imposing nationwide nighttime blackouts Monday evening in a bid to conserve energy. The move has been forced by widespread drought conditions depriving Ecuador of vital hydroelectricity capacity.

The office of Ecuador’s President Daniel Noboa announced the blackouts in a message posted on social media last week, saying there would be daily eight-hour power cuts from Monday until Thursday, lasting from 10 p.m. until 6 a.m.

The statement said the measure was due to “the worst drought in the last 61 years and in order to responsibly manage the control of our electrical system.”

A soldier stands guard at the Mazar hydroelectric plant in Las Palmas, Ecuador, Sept. 17, 2024.
A soldier stands guard at the Mazar hydroelectric plant in Las Palmas, Ecuador, Sept. 17, 2024.

Fernando Machado/AFP via Getty Images


Ecuador gets about 77% of its electricity from hydroelectric generation, according to local news outlets.

The presidency said the overnight blackout time window was chosen to reduce the impact on daytime activities and workdays. Public sector workers were being required to work remotely on Thursday and Friday where possible in an additional bid to reduce demand for energy this week.

It remained unclear whether the government would announce further cuts beyond Thursday, and much of the nation saw its electricity switched off even earlier, as the government unexpectedly announced a single, nine-hour blackout for 12 provinces on Sunday.

The government had already taken electricity offline Wednesday night into Thursday morning for what it said was preventative maintenance work on the national power grid. A curfew was issued for six provinces and one canton as 15 substations were inspected by 115 maintenance teams, according to Noboa’s office.

National security officials said 28 suspects with links to organized crime were arrested during the curfew, amid an increased deployment of officers.

Ecuadorian police monitor a street during a national rationing of electricity due to maintenance on the transmission system and distribution networks, in Quito, Ecuador, Sept. 18, 2024.
Ecuadorian police monitor a street during a national rationing of electricity due to maintenance on the transmission system and distribution networks, in Quito, Ecuador, Sept. 18, 2024.

Galo Paguay/AFP via Getty Images


The U.S. Embassy in Ecuador issued an alert about the blackouts, warning U.S. nationals in the country to limit their movements and noting a heavy military and police presence that could include checkpoints on roads. The alert also noted that the international airports in Quito and Guayaquil would remain operational during the blackouts.

Ecuador is no stranger to electricity problems. The country has been facing an energy crisis since last year. Most recently, in June, cities across Ecuador faced blackouts due to the failure of an energy transmission line.

Noboa declared a state of emergency in the electricity sector in April and asked the country’s energy minister to step down. He suggested at the time that sabotage and corruption could be to blame for the country’s power issues and said he would personally lead a new committee tasked with finding a solution to the crisis.

Noboa’s government has implemented various strategies to try to mitigate the impact of the energy shortages, including power rationing and deploying military forces to support operations at a major hydroelectric dam.

The government has also commissioned a Turkish power generation barge to supply additional electricity to the national grid. The ship began generating power last week.

ClimateWatch: Climate Change News & Features


More


More

Previous Post

Milk, Meat and Peanuts May Suppress Gut Tumors, Study Suggests

Next Post

Colorado AG: Kamala Harris Holds the Powerful Accountable | Opinion

Related Posts

SOAS Director Warns: Forget Oil — Trump’s War Might Blow Up Helium and Fertilizer Supplies Too 
Don’t Mislead

SOAS Director Warns: Forget Oil — Trump’s War Might Blow Up Helium and Fertilizer Supplies Too 

May 18, 2026
Three ‘girls,’ zero humans. ‘Shunned at a Funeral’ fooled the internet with flawless vocals, fake concerts, and now they want your money. When the band doesn’t exist, the scam writes itself. Don’t Contribute!
Don’t Mislead

Three ‘girls,’ zero humans. ‘Shunned at a Funeral’ fooled the internet with flawless vocals, fake concerts, and now they want your money. When the band doesn’t exist, the scam writes itself. Don’t Contribute!

May 12, 2026
ABC Flags Massive Pre‑Speech Trades — Regulated Market or Misleading Free‑For‑All
Don’t Mislead

ABC Flags Massive Pre‑Speech Trades — Regulated Market or Misleading Free‑For‑All

May 9, 2026
CTO Robert Hensley Breaks It Down: The Neon Gas Nobody Noticed—and the Country Sitting on a Mountain of It
Don’t Mislead

CTO Robert Hensley Breaks It Down: The Neon Gas Nobody Noticed—and the Country Sitting on a Mountain of It

May 8, 2026
Looks Real. Feels Real. Isn’t Real. The Rise of Ghost Keypads
Don’t Mislead

Looks Real. Feels Real. Isn’t Real. The Rise of Ghost Keypads

May 2, 2026
Winery Linked to Ilhan Omar and her Spouse Suddenly Files Termination — Misleading Timing or Just Coincidence?
Don’t Mislead

Winery Linked to Ilhan Omar and her Spouse Suddenly Files Termination — Misleading Timing or Just Coincidence?

April 30, 2026
Next Post

Colorado AG: Kamala Harris Holds the Powerful Accountable | Opinion

Pope Francis Warns World's Wealthy About 'Pure Greed'

Please login to join discussion
Misleading

Misleading is your trusted source for uncovering fake news, analyzing misinformation, and educating readers about deceptive media tactics. Join the fight for truth today!

TRENDING

SOAS Director Warns: Forget Oil — Trump’s War Might Blow Up Helium and Fertilizer Supplies Too 

LATEST

SOAS Director Warns: Forget Oil — Trump’s War Might Blow Up Helium and Fertilizer Supplies Too 

Three ‘girls,’ zero humans. ‘Shunned at a Funeral’ fooled the internet with flawless vocals, fake concerts, and now they want your money. When the band doesn’t exist, the scam writes itself. Don’t Contribute!

ABC Flags Massive Pre‑Speech Trades — Regulated Market or Misleading Free‑For‑All

  • About Us
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • DMCA
  • Cookie Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions

Copyright © 2025 Misleading.
Misleading is not responsible for the content of external sites.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password? Sign Up

Create New Account!

Fill the forms bellow to register

All fields are required. Log In

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • About Us
  • Log in
  • Don’t Mislead (Archive)
  • Privacy Policy

Copyright © 2025 Misleading.
Misleading is not responsible for the content of external sites.