Misleading
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Register
Misleading
  • About Us
  • Log in
  • Don’t Mislead (Archive)
  • Privacy Policy
No Result
View All Result
Misleading
No Result
View All Result

New Chinese nuclear attack submarine sank, U.S. officials says

September 27, 2024
in Missleading
Reading Time: 4 mins read
0 0
A A
0
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Satellite imagery showed that China’s newest nuclear-powered attack submarine sank alongside a pier while under construction, a senior U.S. military official said Thursday.

The sinking of China’s first Zhou-class submarine represents a setback for Beijing as it continues to build out the world’s largest navy. Beijing has become increasingly assertive in pursuing its claim to virtually the entire South China Sea, which is crucial to international trade.

Meanwhile, China faces longtime territorial disputes involving others in the region including Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines, Taiwan and Vietnam. The United States has sought to strengthen ties to its allies in the region and regularly sails through those waters in operations it says maintains the freedom of navigation for vessels there, angering Beijing.

The submarine likely sank between May and June, when satellite images showed cranes that would be necessary to lift it off the bottom of the river, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity to provide details about the submarine loss.

China Nuclear Submarine
This satellite image from Planet Labs PBC shows what appears to be a sunken Chinese submarine at a shipyard near Wuhan, China, June 15, 2024. 

Planet Labs PBC via AP


China has been building up its naval fleet at a breakneck pace, and the U.S. considers China’s rise one of its main future security concerns.

A Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson said Friday he was not familiar with the topic and did not provide any information when asked about it at a Beijing press conference.

The U.S. official said it was “not surprising” that China’s navy would conceal it. The submarine’s current status is unknown.

The identification of the sunken nuclear submarine was first reported by The Wall Street Journal. Thomas Shugart, a former U.S. Navy submariner and an analyst at the Center for a New American Security, first noticed the incident involving the submarine in July, though it wasn’t publicly known at the time that it involved the new Zhou-class vessel.

Satellite images from Planet Labs PBC analyzed by The Associated Press show what appears to be a submarine docked at the Shuangliu shipyard on the Yangtze River before the incident.

An image taken June 15 appears to show the submarine either fully or partially submerged just under the river’s surface, with rescue equipment and cranes surrounding it. Booms surround it to prevent any oil or other leaks from the vessel.

A satellite image taken Aug. 25 shows a submarine back at the same dock as the submerged vessel. It’s not clear if it was the same one.

It remains unclear if the affected submarine had been loaded with nuclear fuel or if its reactor was operating at the time of the incident. However, there has been no reported release of radiation in the area in the time since.

China as of last year operated six nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarines, six nuclear-powered attack submarines and 48 diesel-powered attack submarines, according to a U.S. military report.

News of the submarine’s sinking comes as China this week conducted a rare launch of an intercontinental ballistic missile into international waters in the Pacific Ocean. Experts say it marked the first time Beijing had conducted such a test since 1980.

Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin was in London this week to discuss progress made by the U.S., Britain and Australia toward their shared goal of deterring China’s increasingly assertive actions in the Indo-Pacific. The London summit is the third Defense Ministerial for the allies’ trilateral AUKUS partnership, and according to defense officials, it will see them look at the two key elements or pillars of their work together to increase security in the Indo-Pacific. 

The first of those pillars is helping Australia acquire nuclear-powered submarines, and the second is collaborating on emerging military capabilities.

Earlier this year, the partnership announced that Japan would work with AUKUS on maritime autonomy and, according to the official, there are also conversations with Canada, South Korea, and New Zealand about potential projects on emerging capabilities. 

China has accused AUKUS of provoking a nuclear arms race and disrupting peace and security in the Indo-Pacific region. 

Eleanor Watson

contributed to this report.

Previous Post

Donald Trump and Volodymyr Zelensky To Meet as Tensions Rise

Next Post

How Hurricane Helene Could Impact Florida’s Home Insurance Crisis

Related Posts

SOAS Director Warns: Forget Oil — Trump’s War Might Blow Up Helium and Fertilizer Supplies Too 
Don’t Mislead

SOAS Director Warns: Forget Oil — Trump’s War Might Blow Up Helium and Fertilizer Supplies Too 

May 18, 2026
Three ‘girls,’ zero humans. ‘Shunned at a Funeral’ fooled the internet with flawless vocals, fake concerts, and now they want your money. When the band doesn’t exist, the scam writes itself. Don’t Contribute!
Don’t Mislead

Three ‘girls,’ zero humans. ‘Shunned at a Funeral’ fooled the internet with flawless vocals, fake concerts, and now they want your money. When the band doesn’t exist, the scam writes itself. Don’t Contribute!

May 12, 2026
ABC Flags Massive Pre‑Speech Trades — Regulated Market or Misleading Free‑For‑All
Don’t Mislead

ABC Flags Massive Pre‑Speech Trades — Regulated Market or Misleading Free‑For‑All

May 9, 2026
CTO Robert Hensley Breaks It Down: The Neon Gas Nobody Noticed—and the Country Sitting on a Mountain of It
Don’t Mislead

CTO Robert Hensley Breaks It Down: The Neon Gas Nobody Noticed—and the Country Sitting on a Mountain of It

May 8, 2026
Looks Real. Feels Real. Isn’t Real. The Rise of Ghost Keypads
Don’t Mislead

Looks Real. Feels Real. Isn’t Real. The Rise of Ghost Keypads

May 2, 2026
Winery Linked to Ilhan Omar and her Spouse Suddenly Files Termination — Misleading Timing or Just Coincidence?
Don’t Mislead

Winery Linked to Ilhan Omar and her Spouse Suddenly Files Termination — Misleading Timing or Just Coincidence?

April 30, 2026
Next Post

How Hurricane Helene Could Impact Florida's Home Insurance Crisis

Internet Obsessed With Mom's 'Gothic Baby Nursery' With Crib From 1864

Please login to join discussion
Misleading

Misleading is your trusted source for uncovering fake news, analyzing misinformation, and educating readers about deceptive media tactics. Join the fight for truth today!

TRENDING

SOAS Director Warns: Forget Oil — Trump’s War Might Blow Up Helium and Fertilizer Supplies Too 

LATEST

SOAS Director Warns: Forget Oil — Trump’s War Might Blow Up Helium and Fertilizer Supplies Too 

Three ‘girls,’ zero humans. ‘Shunned at a Funeral’ fooled the internet with flawless vocals, fake concerts, and now they want your money. When the band doesn’t exist, the scam writes itself. Don’t Contribute!

ABC Flags Massive Pre‑Speech Trades — Regulated Market or Misleading Free‑For‑All

  • About Us
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • DMCA
  • Cookie Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions

Copyright © 2025 Misleading.
Misleading is not responsible for the content of external sites.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password? Sign Up

Create New Account!

Fill the forms bellow to register

All fields are required. Log In

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • About Us
  • Log in
  • Don’t Mislead (Archive)
  • Privacy Policy

Copyright © 2025 Misleading.
Misleading is not responsible for the content of external sites.